The Newton North Science Team is a prestigious academic team that participates in science and technology competitions. It is based at Newton North High School in Newtonville, Massachusetts.
Table of Contents
The Newton North Science Team competes in the following competitions:
- Science Olympiad
- Science Bowl
- Ocean Bowl
- MIT Trivia
- Women of Science
- Biology Olympiad (USABO)
- Chemistry Olympiad
- Physics Olympiad (F=ma)
2011-2012 Competition Information
|October WSSL||TBA||2pm-6pm||Acton-Boxborough HS|
|November WSSL||TBA||2pm-6pm||Chelmsford HS|
|Women of Science||TBA||7am-3pm||Bedford HS|
|December WSSL||TBA||2pm-6pm||Bedford HS|
|January WSSL||TBA||2pm-6pm||Lowell HS|
|February WSSL||TBA||2pm-6pm||Burlington HS|
|Science Bowl||TBA||7am-6pm||UMass Lowell|
|Science Olympiad||TBA||7am-6pm||Framingham State College|
|JETS||TBA||no details||no details|
The Newton North Science Team is considering competing or has competed before in the following competitions/events:
- FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC)
- BU Robotics Competition
- Science Decathlon
- Chem Olympiad
- Bio Olympiad
- Physics Olympiad
Mentors, Presidents, and Officers
Team Coach/Advisor: Ms Winston (email su.am.21k.notwen|notsniw_yma#su.am.21k.notwen|notsniw_yma)
WSSL: Ms. Winston
Women of Science: Ms. Purdy
Ocean Bowl and Envirothon: Ms. Dannenberg
Science Bowl: Mr. Hamel
Science Olympiad: Ms. Osipenko
JETS: Ms. Jose
Officers are elected for the next year at the end of each school year. Any person who has competed in a competition may vote or run for a position. The current team president is responsible for conducting the elections. The addition and subtraction of officer positions may be voted on if necessary. To win, a candidate must have the majority of the votes. If a majority is not achieved, the current President will conduct a second round of elections for the position which is limited to the top candidates (the president must decide what percentage of the vote is necessary for a candidate to proceed to the next round) from the last election. This is repeated until one candidate achieves a majority.
President: Ying Gao
Vice President: Yongyi Zhao
Buildaheads Captain: Yongyi Zhao
Science Olympiad: Kavish Gandhi
WSSL Captain: Amy Huang/Bowen He
Ocean Bowl Captain: Ying Gao
Science Bowl Captain: Gina Ferolito
JETS Captain: Kavish Gandhi
Envirothon Captain: Malini Gandhi
Women of Science: Maria Trias
M.I.T. Trivia: Bill Shen
Contains numbers and e-mails of current members, former members up to a certain point, former coaches/mentors, and parents.
The team meets after school on Tuesdays in Rm. 425. These meetings are generally short and attendance is encouraged, but not mandatory.
Meetings for specific competitions generally take place in team members houses. The time, frequency, and location of these varies. Contact the officer in charge of the competition to find out when that competition's meetings are.
In general however…
- Science Bowl and Ocean Bowl have joint meetings on Friday nights.
- Buildahead meetings (including those for Science Olympiad and WSSL) take place on Saturday afternoons.
Fees and Account Management
Members who participate in one competition and one competition only must pay a $30 fee. Members who participate in more than one competition must pay a $65 fee. Checks should be made out to The City of Newton. This is to pay for the contest entry fees and materials. People who are unable to pay this for any reason should talk to Amy Winston. It should be noted, that these fees will not cover all of the team's costs, so fund raising will still be necessary.
- In the 2012-2013 season, the Science Team placed 2nd in Science Olympiad, 3rd, 7th, and 2nd in Ocean Bowl States, 4th in WSSL , 6th nationally in JETS, and 1st in the state and 2nd in North America in Envirothon.
- In the 2011-2012 season, the Science team placed 2nd in Ocean Bowl States, 3rd in Science Olympiad States, 1st in JETS States, 1st(unofficially) and 2nd in MIT Trivia.
- In the 2010-2011 season, the Science team placed 2nd in Science Olympiad States
- In the 2009-2010 season, the Science team placed 2nd in Science Olympiad States
- In the 2008-2009 season, the Science team placed 1st in Science Olympiad States, 1st in JETS States, 2nd in Envirothon States, 3rd in JETS Division 7 Nationals, 5th in Science Bowl States, 16th in Ocean Bowl States, 22nd in Science Olympiad Nationals
- In the 2007-2008 season, the Science Team placed 1st in Science Olympiad States, 1st in JETS States, 3rd in Ocean Bowl States, 3rd in Science Bowl States, 2nd in MIT Trivia, and 22nd at Science Olympiad Nationals.
- In the 2006-2007 season, the Science Team placed 1st in Science Olympiad States, 1st in JETS States, 3rd in Ocean Bowl States, 2nd in Science Bowl States, 1st in WSSL, 4th in Envirothon, and 18th at Science Olympiad Nationals.
- In 2004 the Science Team placed 1st in Science Bowl States, 1st in Science Olympiad States, and 24th at Science Olympiad Nationals.
- In 1993, the Science Team placed 3rd in the National Science Bowl Competition.
- Other rankings can be found on the individual pages for the events.
The vast majority of the Science Team trophies are stored in the Science Department office.
The Science Team owns a large library of books relating to the competitions and science in general which team members may borrow from. See the Library page for a list of books. The library is now located in Rm. 460.
The Science Team also owns tools and building supplies. Contact the buildaheads captain for details.
The Science Team has a bank account which is managed by the school. Talk to Ms.Winston or the team officers for information on this.
The old, now dysfunctional, Science Team email list and archives can be found here: NNHS Science Team Mailing List (Note: A login is required to access this.)
In The News
March 28, 2013 Newton Stem Notes North & South Teams Excel at MA State Olympiad
March 26, 2013 Newtonite Science Team Places Second at Science Olympiad
March 15, 2013 Newton Stem Highlights Science Team 2012-2013 Season Achievements
March 12, 2013 Newtonite Article About Ocean Bowl
January 10, 2012 Newtonite Article about Women of Science
March 28, 2007 Newton Tab Article
March 30, 2007 Newtonite Article
March 9, 2007 Newtonite Article (See page 3)
Feb. 2008 Newtonite Article - "Science Team to Attend Olympiad Saturday"
Apr. 2008 Newton Tab Article - "Newton North Science Team heads to National Olympiad"
May 2008 Daytime Article- "NNHS's Science Team takes 1st place in Science Olympiad"
Editing and Accessing This Site
Read Before Editing This Site:
This website is actually a combination of two - http://nnhs-science.wikidot.com/ and http://nnhs-science-restrictedaccess.wikidot.com/ This is necessary in order to allow some pages to be password protected while leaving others open to the public. nnhs-science-restrictedaccess.wikidot.com contains the password protected pages. All pages containing information like team member contact info or competition advice should be placed on this site. To link between the two sites, the URL Link Button, rather than the Page Link Button, must be used. Note that the settings, homepage, and membership for the two sites are different.
To see the restricted access pages click:
To edit the non-restricted-access portions of this website, you must obtain the password from a Science Team member. The password is the same for both the restricted and non-restricted portions, however it must be entered separately.
Please create an account and/or sign in first.
if you already have a Wikidot.com account
it is worth it and is free
How to Join/No Idea Where to Start?
The Science Team has no official membership list or requirements to join. To be considered a member of the Science Team, all you have to do is join the mailing list and participate in at least one competition. You can join the mailing list here: Newton North Science Team Google Group Please inform Ms. Winston or the Team President if you plan to join. You may participate in as few or as many competitions as you want to. You should talk to the officers in charge of the events you are interested in to find out how you can participate. Science Team members are expected to contribute to the team fundraising and administrative tasks.
Building Advice and Information
This area is under construction…
Science Team Search
This is a custom search engine; search this website, the contest websites, and more….